How to tell if an NRMM engine has been type approved
The authorised body issues approval certificates to the manufacturer for each engine type or family that has been tested and approved.
The main marking is the type approval number. This should be permanently fixed and durable for the lifetime of the engine. The number takes the following format:
The number can be broken down into the following information:
- E11* - the member state authority that tested the engine (in this case the UK)
- 97/68* - the original EC base legislation the approval is for
- 2004/26* The latest level of the legislation that the approval relates to
- XXXX* - the identification number of the manufacturer or importer
- YY - indicates if the approval has any revisions
The manufacturer must also mark each unit with certain information.